A narrow iron gateway on rue de la Sépède gives a glimpse of a grand mansion.  Built in 1761 for doctor Etienne Pourfour du Petit, dean of the Paris faculty of medicine from 1782 to 1784, the house was later enlarged by  the addition of a two storey attic under a mansard roof.  The enlarged pediment with the circular window helps to hide the size of the roof but the historic buildings commission aren’t impressed.  The building is listed in the national register of architectural heritage with the note that the roof extension ‘a malencontreusement altéré’  its proportions.  However inopportune the alterations, the glimpsed view is a harmonious picture of cream, grey and brown, warmed by autumn sunlight.