Looking up at the roofs of Berwick on a beautiful day of blue sky and low, winter sun.
Shadow chimneys in Ravensdowne
The early eighteenth century Berwick Barracks was designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor
Stepped gables are a common feature of older houses in the borders
A walk round the Elizabethan ramparts gives a chimney level view of neighbouring houses…
with glimpses of the town’s various towers and spires
Berwick Gaol, opened in 1850, has Elizabethan style details and tall hexagonal chimney pots. The gaol – more of a local lock up than a high security prison – was closed in 1878 and converted to a courthouse.
The Cobbled Yard Hotel, built in 1913, was originally known as Twixt Thistle and Rose
St Cuthbert’s Parish Centre, tucked behind the larger Masonic Hall.
Click on any photo to view the gallery.